Friday 16 April 2010

Oh yeah, that's what I was going to do over the spring break...

... you know, write more stuff in this blog. Oops.

Samantha (Infidelity): I'm intrigued by the turn of phase, "I have managed so far not to have a boyfriend cheat on me." Now, correct me if you think I'm making unfounded assumptions, but that suggests to me that you perceive a partner's 'fidelity' to be your responsibility at least as much as theirs.

I personally find the concept of mandated exclusivity, just on its own, damn near impossible to get my head around; so reading that really made me go "uhhh?" This isn't a criticism or an attempted piss-take: I'm honestly curious as to a) whether or not my interpretation of your words is accurate; and if it is, b) how the maintenance of a partner's 'fidelity'--i.e., their acquiescence in the condition of exclusivity, or monogamy or whatever you want to call it--can realistically be attributed to any passive influence on your part (rather than to their own active conformation to societal precepts, or fear of social opprobrium, etc. etc.)

Niccy (Infidelity): "What’s the point in cheating really? Is it not better to be single and free of restriction, both sexually and emotionally?" I'd say, what's the point of rigid 'single/committed, faithful/unfaithful' dichotomies in the first place? Wouldn't it be better if people could simply acknowledge and respect each other's emotional and sexual needs as human beings, instead of automatically dragging their relationships down with expectations of control and demand?

Call me a hippie or whatever--and this is not addressing your post specifically, but social mores in general--but I just cannot see how it's mature or reasonable to require people to pigeonhole themselves as either "single" or else confined to one, exclusive relationship. And committed until what, exactly? Until either or both parties have gotten so miserable in themselves that their continued propinquity becomes unendurable? Because as far as I can see, these arrangements almost always end in acrimony, melodrama and compulsive feelings of loss or lessening for at least one party anyways. And we're supposed to view this mode of relationship as healthy and normative...?

Chris (Profanity): Congratulations on the phrase, "fought against the tide of shits and fucks." Truly inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. You're not a hippy. Your blog makes my eye sight die a little, but that's the colour scheme, nothing more :)
    I do see your point, the fact I do worries me a little as I am committed LOL..
    I don't think you like the categorising of it all. And for that I understand. I'll post a reply soon, but thanks for the insight :) xx

    ReplyDelete