Friday 2 April 2010

If 'infidelity' is so bad...

... here's a question that I'm surprised nobody else asked during the lecture, because it was certainly at the front of my mind:

What's so great about the concept of 'fidelity' anyways?

Because folks: from where I'm sitting, it looks hypocritical, sado-masochistic, and profoundly unhealthy in any psychological context you care to name.


Caveat: I have never done the whole 'committed relationship' thing. I have never wanted to, nor really understood why anyone else would want to (I mean, I can postulate various dysfunctions that might explain it, but try as I might, I still find it impossible to empathise). I have no doubt whatsoever that human beings are not naturally 'monogamous.'

Establishing an exclusivity/ownership dynamic in a sexual relationship--a dynamic usually endorsed by screwed-up societal preconceptions, no less--is pretty much the polar opposite of what I know as 'love', I'm afraid. It's effectively declaring (with whatever superficial intention, and however mutually) that your partner's happiness and emotional welfare are constrained by the same factors and arbitrary standards as your own, and that they therefore have no right to be happy in themselves and/or with anyone else, or to try anything new while they're 'committed'¹ to you.

You wouldn't do that kind of crap to a friend; what the hell makes it okay--expected, in fact--to do it to a lover??

Frankly, the whole thing stinks of codependent selfishness and ravening personal insecurity. The term 'cheating' itself suggests depriving someone of something to which they are entitled--as if attraction or love are finite resources, which need to be rigidly graded and rationed out² on a priority basis. Folks: emotions don't work that way. If you love someone, you don't somehow love them any less if you also happen to love someone else. You're don't somehow find them any less sexually appealing if you also happen to be fucking someone else. Attraction may well wear out in many cases, but it can't be appropriated, or diluted through proliferation.

Then there's the whole marriage thing, with the civil/religious aspect... but that's secondary, and just sordid. Religion, like the monster that it is, will eagerly nurture any perverse social construct that makes people easier to control (and/or more miserable). Again: this is not a natural or rewarding state of affairs. Your affection is not some kind of unstable toxic waste that needs to be safely contained by some sterile, impermeable patriarchal bullshit, lest it seep out and impurify everyone else's precious bodily fluids. Or whatever.

Approaching sexual and emotional fulfilment through such a tortuous labyrinth of hangups and disturbing complexes is neither healthy nor sensible. If people can't maintain responsible relationships via open and honest communication, they don't deserve to have any.

Discuss.

¹ I would love to make a bad psychotherapy pun at this point... but I have a girlfriend who works as a consultant psychologist, and people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

² Presumably for the good of the war effort...

6 comments:

  1. hope you don't mind Al, I've quoted you here, I find what you say very interesting. :),
    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did bring it up during the lecture..maybe my voice was too quiet, but I said.. We base the idea of fidelity on societies ideal of monogomy. Society says monogamy is right, but why is it still seen as an ideal when so many people cheat or relationships end in divorce? Maybe we should see communes/threesomes/orgies as acceptable/normal too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niccy: by all means, do whatever you like with it--that's what it's there for. (My advice on the use of my blog material is eerily consonant with my advice on the use of one's erogenous zones).

    Lucy: Sorry, I must have missed that--there were a lot of people talking in that lecture >:(

    Anyways: just to nitpick, threesomes and orgies are particular sexual acts rather than modes of relationship, and I think any discussion has to recognise that sex and love are not synonymous or mutually inclusive in order to make any sense. But yeah--I can't figure out what any reasonable, rational person could have against group sex, either within the context of relationship(s) or not. If three or more people are mutually attractive, it's purely idiotic for consummation to be unattainable (or the source of later guilt-trips) on the basis of other people's hangups--regardless of how prevalent or institutionalised those hangups have become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a spammer, but I thought that you might be interested in responding to an essay I wrote on the benefits of monogamy:

    http://www.samueljscott.com/2010/04/02/the-benefits-of-monogamy/

    I would list my major points, but I don't want to waste everyone's time by rehashing them here. You are another of the blogs written by thinking people, so I thought you might be interested in a serious discussion amid the morass of crap on the Internet...

    By the way, I found this post through a link from this blog to mine. So, thanks for the reference!

    ReplyDelete